Flying between Doha, Qatar and Chennai, India

After relocating to Doha 5 years back, I have done multiple travel between Doha to the Indian cities - Bangalore & Chennai.  However, my recent travel are to Chennai and this blog gives a quick look at the travel between Doha and Chennai.

Till 2017 August, the only direct flight option to Chennai was Qatar Airways.  Due to limited flights, the ticket price is always above the budget in Qatar Airways for Doha - Chennai sector.  Moreover, all my travel are during the peak season (school holidays & Eid holidays), so the ticket prices are always higher.  We were using Emirates as this is little cheaper option and flight is usually during the day time, though there is a stopover at Dubai.  Usually the stopover is not very long and time in Dubai airport flies (you dont feel it).  So, we enjoyed the Emirates options till 2017.  With the blockade, the option of Emirates is out and there are not much options other than Qatar Airways.

Then comes the good news of Indigo starting Doha - Chennai direct flights from August 2017.  From then on, it is always Indigo for all the travel.  Though it is a budget flight, there is no complaint about the flight as such.  Comfortable seats, on-time take off & landing, good food options (paid) are some of the good things with Indigo which we love and till today we continue using the airline.  Only problem is the flight time from Chennai to Doha which is at midnight.  I don't sleep in flight and it is little stressful personally for me, though my family sleeps well at flight.  I would any time prefer to travel in this airline.

I have recently used Srilankan Airlines for the travel from Doha to Chennai.  I enjoyed this travel.  Departure time is perfect (2230), seating is very good, food options are fine, travel & transit time is also manageable.  During the transit, I have seen the Columbo airport fully crowded as there are many flights from Middle east landing around the same time and they are connecting to various cities in south India, especially the second tier cities like Madurai, Trichy.  This flight gives lot of options to people in Tamilnadu & Kerala.  

I have used Oman Air few times and I am really happy with their flight & service.  Unfortunately, I could not use it for the last few years, especially after May 2017 as their ticket prices has gone up sharply after the blockade of Qatar.  Flight time, aircraft seating are comfortable with manageable transit time.

There are multiple options like Indigo, Jet airways (not now) where the transit happens in Mumbai or Delhi.  However, I don't prefer these options at all, 
  • as we have to go through Customs by collecting the checked-in baggage and have to be handed over to the airline staff for the travel to Chennai. 
  • security screening for boarding the connecting flight always crowded, making me nervous on catching up the connecting flight.
  • changing terminals in Mumbai is always a nightmare.
I hope this helps.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bangalore to Kumbakonam, Thanjavur - Route options

Chennai to Kumbakonam - Route Options

Zoom yourself in self drive cars - Zoomcar.in